Adolescent Referral

How does someone get referred to the STOP Adolescent Service?

Often when a parent or another adult discovers an adolescent has engaged in sexually abusive behaviour they will contact a health professional (such as a GP), school counsellor,  Child Youth and Family social worker ,community professional or the  police.

Initial telephone contact may be made with the Clinical Manager from such professionals or from a parent or caregiver to discuss the appropriateness of a referral.

Advice can also be given on initial safety guidelines to put in place while a referral is being made.  If it seems appropriate a referral may then be made for an assessment to the STOP Adolescent Service.  There is no cost to clients for the services provided by STOP.  The referral professional would discuss funding options with the Clinical Manager prior to the referral being made.

For contact information click here – Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill and Nelson
click here Referral-form-Adol-Service AB (in Word format) to download an Adolescent Service  Referral Form

Referral sources include

  • Youth Justice Family Group Conference (FGC) – following police charges
  • Care or Protection FGC – Care or Protection issues
  • Oranga Tamariki Social Worker
  • Health Professional (Canterbury only)
  • Youth and Family Community Agency or community professional (Canterbury only)
  • School Counsellor and other community professionals (Canterbury only)
  • Police (Canterbury only)