How does an adolescent get referred?

Often when a parent or another adult discovers an adolescent has engaged in harmful sexual behaviour they will contact a health professional (such as a GP),  school counsellor,  Oranga Tamariki social worker, community professional or the  police.

Initial telephone contact may be made with the Clinical Manager from such professionals or from a parent or caregiver to discuss the appropriateness of a referral.

Advice can also be given on initial safety guidelines to put in place while a referral is being made.  If it seems appropriate a referral may then be made for an assessment to the Stop Adolescent Service.  There is no cost to clients for the services provided by Stop.  The referral professional would discuss funding options with the Clinical Manager prior to the referral being made.

For contact information click here – Christchurch , Dunedin, Invercargill and Nelson

click here to download an Adolescent Service Form


Referral sources include
  • Youth Justice Family Group Conference (FGC) – following police charges
  • Care or Protection FGC – Care or Protection issues
  • Oranga Tamariki Social Worker
  • Health Professional
  • Youth and Family Community Agency or community professional
  • School Counsellor and other community professionals
  • Police